Location: PCO office in Cairo, with frequent visits to upper Egypt Governorates
Reports to: PCO Director
The Upper Egypt Local Development Program for Results (UELDP Program) forms part of GoE’s Inclusive Economic Development Program for Lagging Regions (IEDLR). The IEDLR aims to replace the ‘investment-only and centrally planned’ model of the past in addressing the fundamental development challenges of the region in creating jobs and reducing poverty with a more comprehensive approach to local development with increased accountability and inclusion of citizens and businesses in decision making.
The UELDP aims to improve the business environment for private sector development and its economic competitiveness and to strengthen local government capacity for provision of quality infrastructure and service delivery in 4 governorates of Upper Egypt; namely Sohag , Qena , Assuit & Minia. The Program is financed by the World Bank through a Program for Results (PforR) Loan totaling USD 500 M and is to be completed by October 31, 2023. The PforR arrangement was selected as the most appropriate financing instrument for a Program of this nature which adopts a combined approach comprised of institutional transformation and infrastructure investment to deliver its objectives. The PforR seeks to strengthen country systems and directly links disbursement of funds with results through the achievement of specified Disbursement Linked Indicators (DLIs). The Program will be implemented based on the Legal Agreement signed by the World Bank and the Government of Egypt (GoE) on October 6, 2016.
The Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety Team Leader is responsible for ensuring compliance with environmental risk management procedures detailed in the POM in addition to extending support to the LIUs in eligibility screening of projects for UELDP financing as well as the observance of the environmental standards and safeguards during Program and contracts’ implementation.
Under the supervision of the Program Director – the specific functions of the Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety Team Leader are as follows:
- Oversee compliance with environmental risk management procedures detailed in the ESMS;
- Oversee compliance with occupational risk assessment procedures detailed in the Occupational Health and Safety Plans
- Ensure that the environmental, OHS aspects of the Program are reflected in the planning, operations and maintenance procedures manuals;
- Work with other PCO team members to ensure that the PAD and site specific ESMP & Occupational Health and Safety measures, are reflected in the design, tender documents and support LIUs ensuring those measures are implemented during construction and operation;
- Ensure LIUs or Project sponsors carry out appropriate Environmental and Social Assessment for projects and that regular monitoring is carried out during construction and operational phases (including labor influx related risks);
- Build capacity of the LIUs and other Program stakeholders on environmental and social assessment and management;
- Assist and train LIU staff on sub-project specific EMP preparation (when needed), monitoring environmental impacts and mitigation measures undertaken during construction phase of all sub-projects;
- Supervise, coach and follow up of the environmental & OHS team in the PCO to ensure that they are supporting the LIUs in the following:
- Eligibility screening of projects for UELDP financing;
- Monitoring and management of contractors’ adherence to safeguards provisions , OHS procedures as included in the technical specifications of contracts for civil works and/or related annexes;
- Collection of information specific to all aspects of environmental safeguards & OHS compliance;
- Implementation of Occupational Health and Safety system for projects
- Reporting on the status and progress of institutional arrangements and functioning of environmental management, along with any environmental impacts that should be addressed;
- Ensure that project sponsors carry out appropriate Occupational Health and Safety procedures for projects and that regular monitoring is carried out during construction phase
- Advise LIUs in achievement of threshold scores related to environment outlined in the PMs and on adherence to applicable environmental regulations and standards;
- Participate with the other PCO staff in preparation of semiannual, annual reports and any needed reports , presentation and memos .
- Other related tasks as may be delegated to him/her by the PCO Director.
University degree in engineering or related scientific field;
- At least 10 years of experience in relevant field and track record in similar environmental and Occupational Health and Safety assessment assignments; management experience is preferable
- Familiarity with the local level infrastructure projects in Egypt;
- Familiarity with the Egyptian environmental and Occupational Health and Safety regulations and standards;
Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Good analytical and report writing skills;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
Kindly send your CV and any supporting documents to: email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org