Italian- Egyptian Debt For Development Swap Programme
Technical Support Unit
Terms of Reference
National Technical Expert
|Expected starting Date:||1-August 2022|
|Duration of Initial Contract:||One year (with possibility for extension)|
The Italian-Egyptian Debt for Development Swap third Agreement was signed on May 10, 2012, with the aim of converting eligible official bilateral debt owed by the Arab Republic of Egypt to the Italian Republic into financial resources to implement development projects in Egypt. The total amount of debt subject to swap operations under the Agreement amounts to $100 million due during a ten-year period (2012 – 2021) within an agreement duration that lasts for Eleven year and ends on mid 2023.
The Management Committee (MC), co-chaired by the Egyptian Minister of International Cooperation and the Ambassador of Italy to Egypt, is the higher governing body of the Debt Swap Programme. In the performance of its tasks, the MC is assisted by a Technical Support Unit (TSU) composed by Italian and Egyptian experts. The TSU assists the MC in managing and monitoring of the implementation of the agreement by performing a variety of tasks ranging from, evaluation of projects’ proposals, monitoring and evaluation of projects’ performance, releasing instalments, providing the implementing parties with technical support, preparing annual and semi-annual reports, etc.
To date, the IEDS Programme has already approved 22 projects (14 are still ongoing) while other 6 are in pipeline, operating in the following sectors: Nutrition and Food Security, Education and Higher Education, Agriculture, Environment and Cultural Heritage, Civil Society.
2. Scope of work
Within the framework of the Italian – Egyptian Debt for Development Swap (IEDS) Programme, the National Technical Expert will be required to join the technical department of the TSU to assist in the establishment and operation of an efficient monitoring and evaluation system, as well as developing and enhancing a transparent and informative reporting mechanism for the MC.
3. Duties and Responsibilities
As a member of the TSU, the National Technical Expert shall work under the direction of the TSU Director / Deputy Director, and in coordination with other technical and financial TSU staff to conduct the following tasks:
- Support the development and implementation of a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation plan for the Programme
- Monitor the implementation of projects performance through reviewing the semi-annual projects progress reports, organising regular field visits and meetings with the project staff and evaluate (together with the financial team) their requests of project revision/amendments.
- Based on the monitoring findings, recommend possible corrective measure to improve the performance and help the achievement of given results/objectives.
- Support the establishment of a sound knowledge management system, to allow the development and the dissemination of evidence and knowledge from the different projects, including main lessons learned and best practices.
- Assist the TSU in the design/revision of IEDS rules and regulation as well as of IEDS basic forms and templates, to better match the requirements of the Programme.
- Contributing to the elaboration of IEDS reports, as well as fact sheets, technical notes and any other document related to projects’ implementation.
- Support the MC decision making, through preparing briefs on pending issues, providing technical advice and recommendations and assisting in drafting the minutes of their meetings.
- Provide direct assistance and support to implementing agencies, in the different phases of project’s cycle, including project identification, formulation, implementation, etc.
- Identifying the needs of capacity building at project level and accordingly elaborate a plan of technical assistance and capacity development.
- Assist the implementing agencies in designing and running an effective M&E system and develop a set of basic monitoring tools as well as methodologies and data collection instruments to improve the quality and the effectiveness of the monitoring
- Support the evaluations of project proposals and liaising with applicant to assure the consistency of objectives with expected results and planned activities and to acquire all modification required to have a sound project document.
- Reviewing projects’ yearly work plans in terms of planned activities, durations, their coherence with the approved result framework and with the financial plan.
- Drafting and preparing Project Implementing Agreements.
- Supporting the institutional partnership framework and creating communication channels between the TSU and different stakeholders including government official, projects’ directors, and other concerned government entities.
- Promoting links and synergies with other initiatives implemented by the Dept Swap Program in different sector, participating whenever needed in project’s meetings, seminars, and special events.
- Defining / revising guidelines for the visibility of the Programme and assisting in designing informative materials on the program (brochures and publications) as needed.
- Contributing to the organization of events particularly workshops and seminars hosted by the IEDS Program.
- Perform any other task as assigned by TSU Director/Deputy Director
Qualifications and Experience:
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in development-related field, such as International Relations, Social Sciences, Economics, Business Administration or other relevant fields if associated with previous work experience in sector of intervention;
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in management and/or coordination of development cooperation projects in international contexts
- At least 5 years of directly applicable hands-on experience in design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation plans, providing management advisory services.
- Proved knowledge and understanding of project management cycle, with special focus on the monitoring and evaluation concepts, with the ability to explain them with clarity.
- Previous experience in the coordination of multisectoral programme, in at least two of the following fields: food security, environment protection, agriculture, education and vocational training, community development, poverty alleviation and socio-economic development.
- Fluency in Arabic and in both written and spoken English.
- Excellent oral communications skills.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of monitoring and evaluation concepts, with the ability to explain them with clarity.
- Knowledge and experience in planning.
- Ability to provide guidance, technical assistance, and knowledge transfer through formal and informal training.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office
- Ability and willing to travel inside the country.
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis, and production of reports.
Interested candidates, kindly send your updated CV to the Following e-mail:
The Deadline is 17/7/2022
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org